Kai Leakes Website

Kai Leakes Website
Click here to visit website

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Butler/Banks Book Tour Coming April 14th 2014

Hello #Teamsineaters!

It's the start of April and it's raining hard. In my mind I image Idris Elba gussied up like in Thor but with Egyptian attire battle training with Laurence Fishburn as Othello. They are tearing the skies up, I swear to you. (This is all a joke LOL).

Well first off, I am not a consistent blogger, but I wanted to announce that starting April 14th, I will be a part of a book tour featuring several authors. From April 14, each author will present several blogs to introduce themselves to those of you who will follow us on this tour. It is suggested that #teamsineaters go ahead and check out these authors, you won't be disappointed.

October 1-3 2010, I was privileged to gain the opportunity to meet L.A. Banks. I was just a happy fan and hadn't published SE yet. My time there will always be remembered. The power and...what I can only label as an anointing in her voice, stays with me always. I miss her dearly and still tear up thinking about her. I hope only to continue to share my story about her, and the influence I had on her work. Thank you Momma Banks, always.

I'm proud to say that this book tour is in honor of the late and wonderful speculative fiction authors Octavia Butler and L.A. Banks.

Who are these power women, who have been influential to how I write and why I chose to pen Sin Eaters? Follow me on a journey and you will learn.

Octavia Estelle Butler – was an internationally acclaimed science fiction writer. A recipient of both the Hugo and Nebula awards (two of each, actually), her evocative novels explore far-reaching issues of race, sex, power and, ultimately, what it means to be human. Butler was one of the best-known women and Black authors in the field. In 1995, she became the first Science Fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Fellowship.Set in time periods ranging from the historical past to the distant future, Ms. Butler’s books are known for their controlled economy of language and for their strong, believable protagonists, many of them Black women. She wrote a dozen novels, including Kindred, Parable of the Sower; Parable of the Talents; and, Fledgling.

LA Banks i.e. Leslie Esdaile Bankswho wrote under the pen names of Leslie Esdaile, Leslie E. Banks, Leslie Banks, Leslie Esdaile Banks and L. A. Banks – wrote in various genres, including African-American Literature, Romance, Women’s Fiction, Crime, Suspense, Dark Fantasy, Horror, YA, Fantasy/Paranormal, and Non-Fiction for five publishing companies: St. Martin’s Press (NYC), Simon and Schuster (NYC), Kensington Publishing (NYC), BET/Arabesque (NYC), and Genesis Press (MS.). Best known for The Vampire Huntress Legend Series, Ms. Banks won several literary awards, including the 2008 Essence Literary Awards Storyteller of the Year. L. A. Banks has written more than 42 novels and contributed to 23 novellas. Ms. L.A. Banks was also a proud member of The Liars Club, is a board of trustee member for the Philadelphia Free Library and served on the Mayor's Commission on Literacy. Several of her long list of works were, The Crimson Moon series, Shadow Walker, Stroke of Midnight. Her final work series was The Dark Series (Surrender the Dark & Conquer the Dark).


Enjoy the journey in learning who these various authors are, come back on April 22nd, and read my blog post for the event.

Links to each authors blog will be provided throughout this event, so come back soon!

Happy reading to all!

~K.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment